Skip to main content

Newest Has To Take the Notes

 Around this time of year, the circus came to Madison square garden. In 1980 the democratic convention was supposed to follow the circus into the Garden. Like one circus following the next.  Bill Dixon called me to report that they had hired convention staff except for the Director of Security. He proceeded to tell me that although they needed one woman in a senior role, the White House was pretty sure I wouldn’t or couldn’t be that person. I put on my Sadie hat and said, “of course I can, I have let’s of experience.” 

Off to New York City to reinvent myself and begin another adventure.  There was a terrific appartment available on Park Ave, available with one bedroom and a sunken living room.

It was close to the Garden but in a better neighborhood, so I signed a 6 month lease.   Off I went to NYC. Having no idea what was in store for me.  There were two important lessons I learned immediately. One was that you could have anything delivered to your home. And two, the most important one was that if you sign the checks you can do anything.

On the first day there was a security meeting with all the players, The Garden, the Secret Service, NYPD, and the Democratic Committee security. The rule was the the newest had to take the notes. Imagine what all the outsiders thought of me.  But the first policy question was on the table about whether or not we would allow guns to be carried in the hall. Governors often brought their own security and they carried guns. “Not inside the Hall this year” I said. Every person at the table turned to me and began to voice their opinions. Rocky Pomerantz a long time DNC consultant asked me why.  And I said, Rocky, when you were in charge in Florida you said with that amount of people, it would be too dangerous, especially if they were not authorized by official protective persons, like police, Secret Service or the FBI.

That shut them all up and Bill Dixon introduced me reminding them That I controlled the budget.

Then it was my task to hire staff. How does that happen? Well, the best way is to plug into the advance people who understand the politics and work ethic. I was told to call Howard Druckman a well connected NY lawyer, and former Secret Service agent.  He made a list of people to talk to. Many of those people had already called me. It was one of the best times of my life. I owned America. Not that I’m so great but it’s all about the credentials. I ruled the world— at least NYC. there were numbers of people who were beyond excited and some of my best friends came out of that time. You know who you are.  It was also a time to figure out what we would do with the media, political VIPs. Delegates, what states would sit where but more importantly, the convention site was above the main train station with hundreds of people and lockers. How do you secure that site. Thousands of people passed through there every day.

Iris Burnett DNC

The convention lasted four very long days. And there were many highlights. There were stars galore. Dixon knew everyone. Jimmy Buffet, was my favorite buy lots of music people.  The security officer was so small we had to take credential photos in the bathtub For everyone. My favorite was Tip O’Neill and much to the chagrin from his staff he was happy to get into the tub.

Every important person in NY wanted to be my friend. All went well until my mother got lost. She decided to take the bus home because she didn’t want me to pay for her room. It goes on from there but the entire NYPD was searching for “buttercups” mother —- that was my code name.  It was hard to go back to reality after that but I did my best to solidify all the connections I made, which lasted for years.

Popular posts from this blog

So Here We Go: "So You Think You Can Be President? Who Doesn't?"

So You Think You Can Be President, Who Doesn’t? Since this is the first blog on my new site, people have suggested that I write about my vision of my new book, "So You Think You Can be President, Who Doesn’t." Unlike our first book, my writing partner and friend Clay Greager, who passed away last October, wouldn’t like that. He would say, hey girl, move on! Truth is it isn’t easy without Clay. This book is a bit different; still political humor, but times have changed so much that there is a whole lot more.material. But Clay is in my head and with that.... Welcome to my new blog. It will be filled with great stories as well as commentary on the state of politics today. In 1963, while still in high school, a friend of mine asked a few of us if we would like to go to West Point as dates for some of the Cadets who were having a formal dance. Always being up for an adventure, I said, of course. There were four of us who agreed to do this. It was a Friday afternoon and the ga

YOUR LAST FLIGHT OUT

Key West is a place that can only be explained by the people who live there. It is sometimes a state of mind filled with junk stores, good food and lots of colorful people. It is all those things, but so much more, you could write a book about it. Which brings me to another book, which I wrote with Clay Greager, one of those colorful people. When I met Clay he owned a t-shirt shop on one of main streets in Key West. It was called “Last Flight Out" and there was lots of Vietnam and airplane stuff in the window. There was no way I could stay outside, so I went in. There were people milling around and I noticed that the owner was telling interesting and insightful stories. There were no chairs, so I sat down in the corner where I listened to Clay’s stories, and took some political calls - probably from candidates or their staff people. What I didn’t realize was that Clay was listening to my call at the same time I was listening to his stories. When all the customers were gone he turn

I Can’t Control What Other People Do

“I can’t control what other people do.” That’s what McCain said today when asked if he would admonish people who said despicable things about Obama.  (These are not direct quotes but I put them in quotes because it’s what I would do if I was writing fiction and someone said something worth quoting.)  What does “I can’t control or I can’t stop them” mean?  It means the general election will be very ugly. David has been with McCain for a day and a half and he says “this guy will be very hard to beat.”  That’s actually a direct quote. Every four years a few elected officials decide they want to be President of the United States. And every four years political junkies, sign on to a campaign and try to try to get them elected. Sometimes the people surrounding the candidate have high ideals and a centered moral core. Sometimes the campaign staff and consultants are a little too Machiavellian for my taste. The end cannot justify the means when the end means the we are left with a lie.   I am